Spiced Orange Hot Chocolate

Saturday 10 October 2015


Recently, I discovered something rather special...


If you ask very politely, a lot of well-known coffee shops will be prepared to make you one of their extra special and (sort of) secret 'off-menu' drinks. I found this out, after a verrrry long day at work, when I popped into a nearby Costa Coffee that had gone to the trouble of writing out, on a separate blackboard, all the extra drinks they could offer weary customers such as myself. The barista, noticing my rather frazzled appearance, pointed the board out to me and kindly suggested that, as I looked a bit stressed out on this soggy October afternoon, perhaps I'd like to ditch my usual Earl Grey (as I work practically next door, they know me quite well in there now!) and try their newest concoction: an orange hot chocolate. 

The staff in this particular Costa are always super-duper friendly and very keen to improve their customers' day- even by just a little bit. So, I took the barista up on his suggestion and ordered myself the orange hot chocolate...with extra marshmallows and sprinkles :) 

It did not disappoint. Within seconds of taking my first sip, I felt my shoulders relaxing and my face un-screwing itself. The warmth of the hot chocolate mixed with the rather christmassy aroma of orange and cinnamon was enough to make the stress of my day melt into nothingness... this drink was a much-needed change from my usual cuppa. Nuff said.    

Safe to say, as I've not had the chance to nip into my fave Costa for a bit, I've been craving that yummy orange hot chocolate ever since! So, this weekend, I decided I would try and make my own. 

You don't need a lot of ingredients for a mug of this chocolatey perfection, just a few yummy flavours that you can mix and match as you like. 


So here's my recipe, if you'd like to give it a whirl :)  

To make one mug of hot chocolate,
In a small pan, warm together:
  • around 500ml of milk
  • 50g dark chocolate
  • a good splash of orange extract
  • a pinch of cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice
  • two teaspoons of Nutella 
  • three teaspoons of cocoa
When everything has melted together nicely, pour the mixture into a teacup and then give it a good swirl with a cinnamon stick. You can top your hot chocolate with anything you like- cream, marshmallows, sprinkles...just go for it! I actually prefer to drink this one plain, as its incredibly rich and thick as it is, but if you're all about the extra toppings then don't hold back :) This is meant to be a serious, self-indulgent treat!   


I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! It's a perfect antidote for those chilly, windswept days we're enduring at the moment. Let me know if you decide to give it a go, I'd love to know what you think of my recipe :)

In the meantime...

All the love,
Sian x



12 comments

  1. This sounds so yummy, I can not wait to try this. Thanks for sharing. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! It really is yummy :)) hope you enjoy it when you give it a go! xxx

      Delete
  2. Siân you write so well! I would love to read a book of yours and get lots in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! thanks Shan, I'll get on it xD xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness this sounds like an absolute delight! am so happy to have found your blog; I love cinnamon, hot chocolate and orange so this is just an absolute winner for me to try now! xx

    www.iridescentplaces.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's so lovely of you! Glad to have you here :) Your blog is so so gorgeous :3 hope you enjoy the hot choc if you give it a go!! xxx

      Delete
  4. This sounds and looks amazing! I will try it as soon as possible! Thank you for sharing!

    http://sarawritesadiary.blogspot.si/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D If you do give it a try, let me know how it goes :) thanks so much for reading!! xxx

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing!! I do love hot chocolate in the winter and never thought about orange in there too. Stunning photography also xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie! That's so sweet of you to say :) I defo recommend the orange, it's such a scummy way to mix up your usual hot choc :D thanks for reading! xxx

      Delete
  6. This seems soo good!! I'd love to try it, and I will as soon as I get the chance! Been craving hot chocolate for weeks and I feel like this would be an extra special one! Thank you! :D

    Filippa ⎮ http://alwaysadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! It's definitely extra special xD hope you enjoy it if you give it a go!! :D xxx

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© The Freckled Fieldnotes. Design by Fearne.